czwartek, 6 kwietnia 2017

Interview with Jon Petterson/ Henry Kane!

Jon Pettersson is no stranger to the Metal world, he is a member of bands like Wombbath, Ashcloud and Just Before Dawn. A couple months ago, Transcending Obscurity released their debut album Den Förstörda Människans Rike from his new project Henry Kane is newest band from and it sounds awesome. The albums combines buzzsaw grinding guitar riffs with deep growled vocals in Swedish. I spoke to Jon about the album, horror movies and the possibility of Henry Kane live shows. Peter 'Trendcrusher' K.
You are a part of bands like Ashcloud, Just Before Dawn, Wombbath and many others. How and when did you decide to start a solo project, Henry Kane?
I was coming up to my 20th year as a recording artist, so I wanted to make something personal to mark this. So it felt natural to start a solo project. My first band metal band Disfigured Victims was a solo project to begin with, so it was kind of like closing a circle.
Den Förstörda Människans Rike sounds like a mix of Death Metal, Crust and Grindcore. How did you come up with your unique sound?
It is basically a mix of all the genres I’ve played throughout the years filtered down into a melting pot of extreme music. You even get some Black Metal parts in there if you listen carefully. It needed to be an extreme expression pushed to its very limit.
What was the writing process for the album? Do you prefer writing alone or as part of a band?
I started writing some riffs that I felt had the right feel to them. I made up a demo that would be the base for the final product. Once I had the basic structures for the songs, I started working on the details, melodies and small hooks. It was very important build layers on each song. Every time you listen to the album you should find details you didn’t catch previously.
What was the recording process for the album? Where was it recorded?
It was recorded, mixed and master in my studio “Studio Unbound”. It started with the drums, followed by the rhythm guitar. After that more guitars, bass and vocals was layered on. On each I chase a certain feeling, and layers will be added or removed until I find what I am looking for.

You released a video for the track Det var inte ditt fel. Do you think video are still relevant in the age of Youtube and Vimeo?
I think it is more relevant than ever, even though the age of MTV is long gone, releasing videos is one the best ways to get your music seen in this digital age. And it is a chance for bands to extend their artistic vision beyond the music itself.
The name Henry Kane comes from the movie, Poltergeist. Are you a fan of horror movies? What are you favourites?
I am a massive horror movie fan. Anything from old Hammer Film movies like “The Devil Rides Out” to newer stuff like “As Above, So Below”. Some of my favourites are “Suspiria”, The Wicker Man (1973), The Thing, Evil Dead (all 3), The House by the Cemetery to mention a few.

When you’re not listening to, writing or playing metal, what are some of your favorite albums to listen to currently?
I am always listening to a lot of punk. That’s a genre that takes up as much part of my life as death metal. Anything from crust bands like Skitsystem, Disfear and Wolfbrigade, to more melodic punk like Bad Religion, No Fun at All and bands like that. Swedish punk bands like Dia Psalma, Strebers and Asta Kask is a constant in my life. And I can recommend anyone that is a fan of punk of any sort to check them out. I think most metal heads would appreciate them even. Will Henry Kane remain a studio project or do you plan on taking it live? Do you have any shows planned?
I have no shows planned, but if the right opportunity comes along, I do have a live line- up so I can take on shows. Would be cool to play some festivals with Henry Kane. I think the sheer intensity would blow a lot of people away.
Thanks for answering all my questions. Do you have any final words?
Thanks for a good interview. Keep supporting the underground!

Contact:
https://henrykanecrust.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/HenryKaneGrind/

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz